Wednesday 7 October 2009

Obama Vows To Make Tough Decision With A Sense of Urgency, But Not Yet

On the eve of the eighth anniversary of the invasion, Barack Obama has vowed to act with a sense of urgency at some unspecified point in the future when it comes to deciding the United States' strategic plans for Afghanistan.

President Obama told key members of Congress that he had ruled out pulling any or all American troops out of the strife-torn country. As he has not agreed to increase US force commitments either, he has effectively ruled out the only two options presented to him by General Stanley McChrystal, his top commander in the combat zone.

"I promise to be rigorous and deliberate when it comes to the difficult decision, from which I will not shirk, of deciding when I will take the necessary step of making up my mind on what we may or may not do," said the straight-talking president, "Commensurate, of course, on any future events which may happen but have not happened yet. The hat is a challenge that lies before the American people. And together we can be equal to that challenge. But I will not take the easy path and give the American people the false hope that it might contain some kind of rabbit, metaphorical or otherwise as it may be. America, I humbly ask you to work with me on this, hand in hand. Doing nothing is not an option, therefore I will not do it. Hey, is that the time already? Meeting closed."

No comments: