Friday 7 May 2010

Der Untergang

SCENE 2010 INT. DOWNUNGSTRASSE BUNKER. PRIME MINISTER’S OFFICE.  
A finger ( STRAW’S) hovers over a map on a desk.
STRAW
The enemy has made a breakthrough along a wide front. In the South they took Ealing Central and Acton and are advancing towards Battersea.
CUT TO C/S. STRAW.
They are at the northern city border between Crewe and Nantwich and Chester. In the east, they reached Dartford, Great Yarmouth and Ipswich.
CUT TO
BROWN
(waves vaguely)
Jacqui Smith’s assault will bring it under control.
CUT TO M/S. Ministers exchange uneasy glances.
CUT TO
STRAW
My prime minister… Jacqui Smith…
CUT TO
DARLING
Jacqui Smith could not mobilise enough votes. She wasn’t able to hold on to her majority.
CUT TO M/S. Ministers. Uncomfortable pause.
CUT TO C/S. BROWN twitches uncontrollably as he slowly removes his glasses.

BROWN
The following people will stay here: Darling, Straw, Harman and Bradshaw.
CUT TO M/S. Ministers.
(Uncomfortable pause as a dozen ministers shuffle out.)
CUT TO
BROWN
That was an order. SMITH HOLDING ONTO HER SEAT WAS AN ORDER!!! Who do you think you are to disobey an order that I give?
Scene 2010A INT CORRIDOR o/s PM’S OFFICE. M/S. Uncomfortable crowd of spin doctors, policy wonks and wavering ministers.)
BROWN
(off-camera, muffled)
Is this what it has come to?
PAN across faces as CAMPBELL starts to cry.
BROWN
(off-camera, muffled)
The focus group has been lying to me!!
CUT TO
SCENE 2010B INT. PM’S OFFICE.
Everybody has been lying to me. Even the Fabian Society!
(staggers to his feet)
Our cabinet is just a bunch of contemptible, disloyal cowards!
(gestures angrily)
STRAW
My prime minister, I cannot allow you to insult the junior ministers!
BROWN
THEY ARE COWARDS, TRAITORS AND FAILURES!!
CUT TO
STRAW
My prime minister, this is outrageous!
CUT TO
BROWN
The cabinet are the the scum of the British people!
(throws pencil at map)
Not a shred of honour! They call themselves ministers. Years at the media skills academy, just to learn how to hold a knife and fork!
CUT TO M/S. Ministers.
CUT TO
SCENE 2010C INT CORRIDOR o/s PM’S OFFICE. SLOW PAN across worried faces.
BROWN
(off-camera, muffled)
For years the cabinet has hindered my plans!! They’ve put every kind of obstacle…
CUT TO
SCENE 2010D INT PM’S OFFICE.  
(thumps desk repeatedly)
… in my way!
(shakes fist at ceiling)
What I should have done is liquidate all the high-ranking ministers, as Blair did!
(waves angrily at ministers, sits down)
I never attended the media skills academy. Yet I have conquered Britain all by myself.
CUT TO M/S. STRAW.
(Uncomfortable pause.)
CUT TO M/S. DARLING.
Traitors!
CUT TO M/S. BROWN.
I have been betrayed and deceived from the very beginning!
CUT TO M/S. Ministers.
What a monstrous betrayal of the British people! But all those traitors will PAY!
M/S BROWN.
They will pay with their own blood! THEY SHALL DROWN IN THEIR OWN BLOOD!!
CUT TO
SCENE 2010E INT CORRIDOR o/s PM’S OFFICE. C/S CAMPBELL, crying, and BALLS.
BALLS
Aly, please calm yourself.
CUT TO
SCENE 2010D INT PM’S OFFICE. M/S Ministers. Uncomfortable pause.
BROWN
My orders have fallen on deaf ears.
C/S. BROWN, shaking head resignedly.
Under these circumstances, I am no longer able to lead… it is over.
CUT TO M/S. STRAW, uncomfortably looking around at ministers.
CUT TO M/S. DARLING, ditto.
CUT TO M/S. HARMAN and BRADSHAW, ditto.
The government… is lost.
CUT TO M/S. STRAW, nervously adjusting tie.
CUT TO M/S. ashen-faced BROWN.
But gentlemen, if you believe I am going to leave Downungstrasse you are seriously mistaken. I’d rather do what I like. Blow your brains out.

No comments: