Monday 10 May 2010

Australian Director Under Fire For Having No Elderly Chinese Relatives To Cast

The director of an Australian TV series about the Gallipoli campaign has been accused of “whiting out” history, after rewriting the script to make a Chinese-Australian hero Caucasian.

Billy Sing, the son of a Chinese father and white mother, was known as ‘the Gallipoli assassin’ for his bravery in battle, which earned him the Distinguished Conduct Medal. However, director Geoff Bigot says that, after unsuccessfully scouring his entire family tree for a male Chinese actor aged about 60, he was left with no option but to rewrite the character as a white man.

“Then I fossicked the whole of Oz for a whitefella to play the part of a whitefella,” he added. “But strewth, I drew a total blank there too. But tinny me, then I remembered that my son Nepot happens to be just the right colour, or the whole production would have carked it for sure.”

“Now all these chows are giving me a curry,” he added. “Yeah, that’d be right.”

No comments: