Thursday 29 May 2008

Knives Out For Shock Campaign

A Home Office advertising campaign which aims to shock young people out of carry knives by using graphic depictions of knife wounds has been criticised by the mother of a stabbing victim.

Ann Rock – whose 21-year-old son Christopher was nearly killed last year in an unprovoked attack – said: “Kids will just laugh at this.”

The campaign – designed by teenagers – includes a viral video showing knife wounds, and a card depicting a mutilated hand, which will be handed out to children in shopping centres.

We sent one of our unimportant junior researchers out into the streets with copies of the adverts to gauge public reaction.

“Cool!” said one teenager. “He’s got no thumb.”

“I don’t carry a knife,” said another, “But I don’t want to end up like that. Maybe I should get one after all.”

“You’re under arrest for corrupting minors,” said PC Savage. “Showing sick photos to kids? You come with me to the station, matey, and I’ll show you the injuries I can inflict with a biro.”

No comments: