Monday 24 March 2008

Never Coming Down

A KLM pilot has spoken out after his airliner missed its destination, Hyderabad, and took its 243 passengers on an unscheduled tour of India instead.

The flight had been scheduled to land at the brand-new Shamsabad airport, but the pilot instead asked to land at the decommissioned old airport. When air traffic controllers refused, he flew on to New Delhi, where he was also denied permission to land, eventually bringing his plane down at Mumbai.

“It’s not my fault,” said the unnamed pilot. “All I do is load the data into the computer, put the in-flight movie into the DVD player, give occasional weather updates to passengers and help the co-pilot with his sudoku puzzles. Because of this disturbing error I actually had to fly the plane, which isn’t in my contract. I’m talking to my union rep.”

No comments: